Centenary United Methodist Church family is very proud of our church's history. We have over 100 years of heritage to celebrate!
Centenary United Methodist Church began in 1881 with a young minister named Dr. Judson S. Hill. Along with Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, Dr. Hill also founded Morristown College in that same year. Dr. Hill served as pastor for three years, preaching on Sundays and teaching school every day. He was elected the first president of Morristown College and held this position for fifty years prior to his death.
Dr. J.J. Robinette became the second pastor in 1884 and under his leadership, our present sanctuary was completed. In 1939, Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church became Centenary Methodist Church when the unification was successful in the three leading branches of American Methodist Churches.
During the pastorate of Rev. Lon Moneyhun, a campaign was launched for an educational building. Construction did not begin until 1962 and on November 3, 1963, under Rev. Jack King, the building was opened. When the Methodist Church merged with the Evangelical United Brethren Church in 1968, our church became officially Centenary United Methodist Church.
During the 23 year pastorate of Rev. Dwight Kenney, numerous projects were undertaken and completed. In 1975, the sanctuary of the church was renovated. This was followed by the renovation of the church steeple and the prayer chapel. Several traditions also started under his leadership, including Homecoming, Christmas Eve Communion, Easter Sunrise Service and Fifth Sunday Night Music Service